Old 05-25-13, 04:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Do they really allow trucks to go on roads where changing lanes means you hit an obstruction? I wouldn't have thought that to be the case.
It is. Many bridges and underpasses all over the US have arched clearances where there's more head room at the center than either or both sides. They'll be marked with multiple clearance signs over each lane, and if done properly the sign will give the lowest clearance for that lane (which is usually at the edge). See article and photos here. BTW- The minimal clearance standard for the interstate system is 14' with most clearances more than that.

Normal motorists don't usually read clearance signs (which is why so many destroy bikes on roof racks) but a professional driver should be aware of their importance.

That said, there's a low clearance railroad overpass near me that's hit so often that lower edge of the Hi-flange is kept polished and rust free.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-25-13 at 04:09 PM.