View Single Post
Old 05-26-13, 12:34 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The -only- way to find saddles that work right is to find a store that will let you ride them and return them. And I mean you should be able to ride them for a day or two at the least. REI doesn't carry much in the way of top of the line saddles but they carry a reasonable number of middle of the road, decent saddles. You can order two or three, ride them for a week or two and return them all, trying two or three more. Eventually you'll find one that is OK, I'd guess. I once tried a saddle for three days and loved it, but eventually found that around 60 mi it became a real pain. Unless you try a saddle for a few days, you simply won't know for sure. I guess if you ride the same route all the time it might be easier to tell. You can also order online from Specialized. People often order 5 or 6 saddles from them and return them all...or just keep one. Of course you can't return it all scuffed up....but if you ride with reasonable care and don't lay the bike down so as to scuff it up, it's no problem. Obviously you do have to have a bit of experience - or do some research - with regard to saddle adjustment. Often the smallest possible nose-up or down can make a HUGE difference. Make sure the bike is level and buy a small level for the seat and start with it level...and try the nose just a tad up or down...
Brooks and other such leather saddles can require a pretty extensive breakin period. I have no experience with them but they must be wonderful for some folks.
It's also worth doing some research on how to measure your sit bones to learn if you might want a narrow, medium or wide saddle. That's also not obvious but there are tips online about how to sit on a surface that will leave an indentation for you to measure and then how to translate that to typical saddle measurements. But they are also a guess. I "measure" as if I should be on a 143mm (med) saddle but my favorite is a 155mm saddle.
Just concentrate on places that have a liberal return policy and try many saddles. That's the only way to possible find a great saddle. And know that your ideal saddle will change as you lose weight and as you get stronger your sitting position will begin to change and your best saddle will change.