View Single Post
Old 05-29-13, 11:24 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Strickie; XL is a general term. Can you be specific? If you can state your seat tube length needs or your standover height (SOH) that might help locate a builder tuned to it.

Note that Columbus SL, like most tubesets, comes in a very limited size ranges. Have had several friends over the years want a really big bike to fit them made of 531 SL, 853, CF, Ti, etc., but just couldn't find a builder to do it because the tube OEM didn't make the tubes that long or at the required diameters. Most frame building JIGs are also limited.

In the only example from the set of most wanting tall friends, which I know of going forward with a build; she was able to meet her frame needs (she is a very tall lady - most of her 6'11'' is legs [. Bike had to be capable of loaded touring as well as light trail and light downhill riding.

I remember that she told me that her builder said he used a combo of 725 and 853 tubes and substituted a few other brand tubes to achieve the design. Biggest problem was apparently the need for a 76cm seat tube, but the 853 tops out at 68cm in 32mm OD. She believed he implied to her that he sleeved the seat tube to add an another segment on the top in order to reach the required total and probably did the same for the seat stays. I had provided suggestions (which were agreeable to the builder) to widen the OLN to 145mm front and 160mm rear (Phil hubs), add a lateral tube, build to a minimum 1 3/4" tire width, add bosses for fenders, extra bottles, full EU standard lighting, racks front and rear, etc. The basic design ended up looking more like a cyclo bike, but with somewhat touring angles.

If one habits semi-pro volleyball networks in Europe or the Scandinavian countries one may run across the bike--huge with 853 decals. I am well over 6 foot, but her saddle still came up to the middle of my chest...that is a big bike.

/K