Old 05-30-13, 08:38 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nomeht,

It is not ideal to convert a frame designed for drop handlebars to upright handlebars. Your hands, and as a result, your whole body is going to be in an entirely different position. This backward rotation requires a much slacker seat angle. The old Raleigh and Schwinn 3 speeds (what we used to call "English Racers") have it right with 70 or 71 angles. Sometimes even less. If you try upright bars with a common 73 seat tube angle you will find it more uncomfortable than a frame made to sit you further back.

It is self serving to say this and so I apologize in advance for the suggestion but that kind of bicycle is often made in one of my framebuilding classes. The only problem with copying your example is that beginners can't braze stainless lugs. They require more skill to do successfully and one can't recover if they make a mistake. The solution would be to use regular steel lugs or have Herbie or I braze stainless ones for you. Most students who take my class have every intention of making more but some just want to make something for themselves. In my 3 week class there is even the opportunity of painting the frame. Plenty of my students have blogged about their experiences online. One of the latest that painted his cyclo-cross frame in class has pictures and descriptions under the blog title Pacacyerm (a fancy word for elephant). You can find it (and the others) by googling.

Doug Fattic
Niles, Michgian