Old 05-30-13, 10:15 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
welcome to commuting. It comes from folks who have to commute in busy cities. It happens. Is it smart? No... not always. There are times for it and times not to do it. Case in point.... early in the morning when there is no traffic and lights are not tripped by cyclists. When not to do it? Day time when traffic is heavy. Exceptions might apply like riding in big cities.

Just another way of looking at it.
Exactly. Most of the time I wait my turn. No one coming? Commuting home at 4AM? Light doesn't trigger for bikes? I run it. I have stop signs or stop lights pretty much every 5 blocks for my 8 mile (each way) commute. There are a couple of poorly designed intersections where I regularly run the stop sign even though I stop for all the other ones. I won't do it if there is a car waiting though, I try not to be rude, but I'm not going to stop for no reason if there is no one around. Do people in cars sometimes see me do this? Sure. I'm not going to change my behavior though.

Besides, it always smacks of blaming the victim when cyclists blame other cyclists for cars being rude or dangerous to them.

/ Land of the free