Old 05-31-13, 11:13 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
As cool as the Profile carbon Wing cowhorn stoker bars look and lightness, we are switching back to drop bars (300gm heavier w/stoker pegs) for a few reasons, one of which is pertaining to Ritterview's comments about highspeed cornering. With my stoker hanging on to cowhorns it is a bit more scary than we like. She can get into a fairly low position but cannot lock in and so the bike gets unsettled with her shoulders and head throwing off the balance when we whip through a corner. I'm taking about fast corners, not just lolligagging cruisers. Our routine with drop bars was to have her always drop & lock when I yell "CORNER!". The dropbar position results in much better unison and a single-bike feel. Another reason is in crosswinds the cowhorns suck... and my stoker is petite too. I can't see how any team wanting performance handling can stand using cowhorns. We may still use cowhorns for non-technical travel/touring, but otherwise maybe mount them on the wall.

Curious, what setup would Marco/Ruth have?

Sounds like in your case the drop handlebars are weight well spent. My stoker also likes to have the drops available. She doesn't use them as much as I would like but she has the final call on her fit issues.

My stoker decided she likes Dia Comp knobs much better than the Cane Creek Dummies. The diameter of the rubber cover is larger than the handle bar and she likes the fit in her hand and the fact that it makes a different angle where it attaches to the bar. Somewhat lighter than the heavy Cane Creek Dummies that seem to come standard on most tandems. They look old school so that might be a downside.