View Single Post
Old 06-01-13, 10:45 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JakiChan
The MUPs I usually ride on say for everyone to stay right. That being said...I hate the damn earphones. I try to be a good cyclist and call out "on your left!" like ALC has taught me, but when I know said runner can't hear me it pisses me off.

That and people who think its cute to let their kids take up the whole trail...
+1 to the kids, or dogs left to run back and forth across the trail and chase cyclists.

iZombies who seem to think that because they can't hear anything except their music it's for everyone else to avoid them. Bonus marks for changing direction suddenly without any warning or even checking nobody is coming up behind.

Originally Posted by sstorkel
Here's a secret: pedestrians don't understand "on your left". Only bicyclists seem to know what "on your left" means. Pedestrians will often move left, into your path, if you say "on your left".

If you want a pedestrian to move aside, say "Behind you!". I've found that works far better than anything else I've tried.

If someone moves aside for me, I always say "Thanks" as I pass them.
I found that too, I never wanted to call "on your right" (it's all the other way around in the UK) in case they moved right as I passed. "Behind you" or "Excuse me" makes it clear you're there and they usually look, then pick a direction. Sometimes a group will scatter in all directions making it no easier to get past but at least they tried, and if I want to go fast enough that it matters I use the road.