View Single Post
Old 06-05-13, 10:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Seen several left side set up bikes over the years, I believe they were all custom or garage builds. The C&V Forum had some pics from a bike show a while back that had a bespoke built left side drive SS/FG. Either way will work just fine, the threading on the BB would hold up with left or right since it already does. The rear hub's freewheel/cassette or cog needs to be side specific though and none of the derailleur are off the shelf for LHD.

I did see a bike for a Wounded Warrior competitor a few years ago, he lost his right leg and had a custom machined crankset with no arm on the right side, just a spider for the rings and a left crank arm and pedal. He did not want to use a prosthetic right leg as his amputation was near the hip and he had problems with the full stroke of a knee action even with the custom modern prosthetic that are being used now. He had one incredibly strong left leg from all his riding on one leg and the PT strengthening was specialized for his riding as a recovery method. That guy was scary fast, too.

Motorcycles got all single sided (left side drive sprockets and chain) pretty much because of the US federal mandates for shifting and braking being standardized, but the Husaberg dirt bikes and a few other European makes still have left side chains/drives. I owned 2 dirt bikes with right side drive and opposite sided shifting systems in the 70's.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-05-13 at 10:57 AM.