Old 06-06-13, 01:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by RJMang
cyccommute... thanks for the very thoughtful response. I'm driving from Santa Fe, so I'll have a car, and given that I live at 7400', I'm not concerned about elevation. You've given me lots to choose from. I think I'll find a place somewhere on the West side of Denver proper, say Boulder or Golden. Looks like staying in that vicinity will provide me with countless options. 5 days may not be nearly enough! I've always wanted to do Mt Evans, so that's on my potential ride list (too bad I can't do the race in July).
Since you are coming from Santa Fe, I'd suggest you consider a ride in Trinidad as well. I'd suggest riding up Colorado 12 to Cuchara and back to Trinidad which is a 100 mile ride or start in Walsenburg and ride to Cuchara and back which is 70 miles. Both are beautiful rides through terrain that you won't see anywhere else. Personally, I think the Walsenburg route is more scenic.

You might also want to consider some rides around Canon City. Hardscrabble Pass is a great century with, if you want, a ride over the Royal Gorge Bridge.

By the way, don't get me wrong. DnvrFox and valygrl ride ideas are good rides. Trail Ridge Road is a great ride and you should consider it. Some of the riding around Buena Vista is very nice too. It just that getting to rides as widely separated as the Copper Triangle, Deckers area, Trail Ridge Road, etc involves less hassle when starting in the Denver/Golden area then trying to start just about anywhere else. Just getting from Boulder to Copper Mountain is a major headache.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-06-13 at 02:45 PM.