View Single Post
Old 06-07-13, 01:02 PM
rc211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ryker has a biased opinion- as a business he would love referrals and cannot slam LBS's besides its not professional.

On the other hand I don't make money from bike related anything and slam the hell out of shoddy service.

In fact it is more expensive for me to work on my own bike than to pay someone to do it, so its not like I am some cheap skate or bike weirdo perfectionist. Just make it run and do it so it lasts is where my expectation level is.

I have seen rykers site, his calculators are tops- anyone that puts that much time into something like that must do good work- but I have no first hand knowledge of him or know anyone that has worked with him. None of the bike shops I have spoken to mention him- they do wheels to so its not in their best interest even if they did know.

Its too bad I learned of him prior to placing a custom online order for new rims, I like owner operator outfits. New excuse to get another bike with old rims and try him out.

Like today I just ordered a new set of tires online, free shipping from the UK and it was instant.
Unlike a LBS shop that I called 4 days ago asking for a tire to order in that they are dealers for- would prepay- no call back. Typical for 1995 but not 2013. "Oh please sir, can I give you money, please please I beg of you good kind sir to order me tires."

Sorry, I am the customer, I am paying you, and until that changes, you call me and be at my service. PERIOD. I have to bend over in my job so you should too.

So too bad, money has left the country, that's the new economy.
LBS's and country distributors will be toast in 5-10 years tops. Retail prices will never be better because you cut out the middle man. The benefit is honest guys doing what they love with superior knowledge, like this guy above and local bike mechs.