View Single Post
Old 06-08-13, 03:58 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been 'bent since late 2007.

In Sept. of '07 I purchased a new Sun EZ Sport from a reputable recumbent dealer in an effort to ensure that I was properly fitted to this "foreign to me" style bike. After 50+ years of bicycling I wanted to learn if recumbents would be an enjoyable alternative style of cycling for me and proper fit and good solid information about various recumbent styles seemed like important ingredients to that end. At the shop I was instructed about and had the opportunity to test ride literally every style of recumbent that is readily on the market. I brought the EZ Sport home that same day and I've been a happy camper ever since. It turned out to be a good plan. I'm hooked.

I spent the balance of '07 and most of '08 riding and enjoying the luxurious ride of that Gardner Martin designed LWB machine.

Then in August of 2008 I had the opportunity to purchase a used Volae Tour. I deperately wanted to own a SWB bike just to play with it and determine if there was a place in my life for one of those also. I couldn't have picked a better bike. The readily removable seat made it a fine commuter and I used it as such until I retired in October of 2012. The bike is nimble, quick, easy to ride, loves to climb, and the 406 front wheel makes city stopping and starting a piece of cake. I don't work full time or commute anymore but this bike still gets plenty of use, just because it's a fun alternative to the LWB ride.

Finally in the Spring of 2008 I purchased a used Easy Racers Tour Easy. Never has any machine felt so natural to me. This is by far the most favorite toy I have ever owned. It has the same high speed stability that I had become acustomed to on my EZ Sport and it just wants to go. This is my "Go Fast" and "Go Far" bike. It looks and feels sexy and chews up mile after mile of hiway. This is the bike I take on rally's and group rides. It grips the road through turns at at any speed, it loves to accelerate, it's my best bike ever!

Someplace along the way I picked up a used Sun EZ Tandem for the wife and I to enjoy together. A couple of years later she became physically unable to ride so now I share it with my daughters during their occasional visits and with my pet skeleton, Mortimer.

Well there you have it. I've logged a bit over 12,000 miles on those bikes and I hope I'm just getting started.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-08-13 at 04:47 PM.