View Single Post
Old 06-09-13, 08:47 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by PMK
Art, I thought we found 6 spoke locations on each wheel failing, mostly in paired sets (side by side), with cracks propagating in two directions from each hole. I beleive maybe one had just begun at about 1mm in length and from one side of the spoke hole only.

Glad you, and the others enjoyed seeing the process in action. Even found the cracks hidden by decals.

Have fun

PK
Well, after some emaill to-ing and froing with Rafe during which I expressed my dissatifaction with the durability and also talking to the LBS where I bought our Macchiato, I decided to have the wheels repaired: $100 each rim and $60 each for labor. Shipping was about $45 with insurance. I don't think the repair cost is excessive, so it's more a matter of principle that I have to pay after so few miles on them.
The LBS and Rafe told me they are no longer making the tandem wheels and have sold the technology to Easton. Topo will now concenrate on wheelchair wheels!