Old 06-09-13, 05:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by klepto1
I lost some weight, but I am still at about 240lb so it sounds like I should stick with the 38c.
Any tire 32 mm or above should do fine. There is nothing magic about 38's.

Originally Posted by klepto1
The back tire is worn because when I started riding I didnt know to use the front break. I was overusing my back brake and wearing out the tread.
No, the braking had nothing to do with it. You wore out the back tire first because the back tire takes well over half the total bike/rider weight and absorbs all of the driving forces. Every rider wears out the back tire first. In fact, front tires barely wear at all and will look nearly new with thousands of miles on them even if the front brake is used properly. Front tires do have to be replaced periodically due to age hardening and eventual cracking from repeated flexing but not because the tread is worn through.

Here's an experiment for any road rider: Weigh two brand new tires. Install them on a bike and ride it until the rear tire is completely worn out and the casing is starting to show. Remove both and weight them again. the rear tire will have lost considerable weight, the front tire will be within a very few grams of it's new weight.

Last edited by HillRider; 06-09-13 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo, as usual