Thread: carbon forks
View Single Post
Old 06-09-13, 05:42 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen View Post
Lol paper and glue, I never thought of it that way, all though I have a little more faith in it than that, its essentially the same stuff diamonds are made from (hardest natural thing on earth)...although I guess not really the same at all, but you could have fooled me wotht he price they charge for carbon, you'd be better value for money to get a bike made from diamonds.....I kid I kid.
I have no doubts carbon is a very strong material, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm riding a bike made of threads. Yes, it's hard, yes, it's tough, but it also depends on where it is strong. For instance, it's widespread knowledge you don't hang a carbon frame by its top tube from a bike-stand. Why not? If it's so strong, why couldn't you, or why wouldn't you? Maybe it's not all that strong if stress is applied in that particular direction? I couldn't answer that question, but all I know is that you don't wanna do it.

Imagine riding down a hill on a mountain bike and bottoming out over a rock. What happens to that bottom tube when it's hit? While all frames are hollow, whether it be aluminum, steel, or carbon, does the carbon crack open like a cheap, hollow, chocolate Easter Bunny and send you crashing to the ground? While steel and aluminum may bend, they're not going to just crumble or fracture from an impact, they're going to dent or bend.