View Single Post
Old 06-11-13, 05:25 AM
Ron Harry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little late to this soiree...but just a comment to this perhaps 'most' asked question [what's the best bike, brand etc].

I sort of agree with the posts about everything being from Asia now. Yet, there are differences in how certain bikes ride.

Over time, my focus has more and more centered upon the WHEELS. That, at least for me, is where I can make pretty large differences in the ride. In fact, I can put my best set of wheels on my old steel clunker, and transform it almost instantly into at least what 'feels' like a performance bike.

Frame composition [steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, or titanium] also makes for quite significant different rides. After that, geometry [racing, climbing, long riding, or touring etc].

Branding is mostly psychological in nature. Those companies that sponsor pro teams would logically be into research and development, always looking for the edge on competition etc. [and would probably carry over to consumer products]. I know both Trek and Specialized stand behind their products and warranties pretty well however. But of course, the market is flooded with trek and specialized, and sometimes people just want to be different. My 2 cents not worth a nickle anyway.