telenick
1/2 a binding 1/2 a brain

Bikes: Serotta Ottrott ST, Titus RX100, Seven Sola 29er HT in the works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
We have conflicting information then. I have a pair of Vasque Sundowner II boots that specifically said to treat the leather with a waterproofer on the 'care for' tags. They are technically waterproof with a Gore-tex liner, but the surface waterproofer protects the leather.
You're right. We do have conflicting info. Here is what Vasque says:

VASQUE® HIKING BOOTS

Step 1: Clean mud and dirt off with warm water and a brush or rag.

Step 2: Use NaturSeal® Boot Cleaner and the included brush to scrub your boots to deep clean the leather. This will remove imbedded dirt, waxes and oils. Allow to dry thoroughly. Now the leather is ready for conditioning and waterproofing.

Step 3: Apply NaturSeal® Waterproofing and Leather Conditioner. Apply the liquid using the convenient dauber. Notice that the liquid soaks into the leather immediately, particularly if leather is old, worn or dry.

DO NOT HEAT!! Excessive heat will destroy the leather.

Step 4: Add a final cost of protection by spraying on NaturSeal® Leather and Fabric Guard. The convenient pump bottle makes it easy to apply an overall layer of protection that repels outside moisture.

For Suede and Nubuk Leathers in Lighter Colors Substitute NaturSeal® Conditioner with Aqua Seal® Suede & Nubuk

I've found that either applying a leather conditioner or doing nothing is best. That's because leather breathes. If you invested the extra coin for a pair of leather boots with a GoreTex liner then why muck up the breathability of leather and GoreTex with a water proofing application? I think it's just a marketing gimic to sell product with a boot purchase.

There you go. YMMV.