Old 06-17-13, 07:57 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Wow. Nice report, nice pics. So which model chain was that?

I once had a PC870 bounce out of the quick-cage of a Vx and get caught under my rear tire. I skidded on it for about 10 ft before stopping. But it didn't break and I was able to finish the ride. A few side plates were rather flattened on the edges!
This was a PC 870 as well. Broke one link away from the power link, looks like an outer plate just gave out.

I was pushing pretty hard on the pedals, up a slight hill, and suddenly the RD dropped the chain all the way to the small cog as the chain burst. (It had been miss-shifting for a bit beforehand.) My legs were shocked by having nothing to push against and I skidded a short distance but managed to unclip and get off. We were riding next to a nice older gentleman who had a chain tool (what luck!) but unfortunately his tool was missing the pin so it was useless (what luck!). He rode on and I ended up getting help from somebody else about 20 minutes later, and in the process teaching him how to fix a chain. All in all not a bad day, but I will definitely be switching out that chain.