I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by lasauge
Has anyone here successfully convinced acquaintances/coworkers to go by bike instead of by car?
[SNIP]
On the other hand, it's somewhat disappointing that I've not seen any real increase in the number of people who ride in several years, just presenting an example of how useful a bicycle can be doesn't seem to convince anyone to leave their cars at home, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had success with a more active approach?

I'm thinking that the next time I end up talking to this coworker I'll ask if he's ever ridden to work, and if not, if he'd be interested in a $50 bike which I could provide - does that sound reasonable?
Might sound reasonable on this discussion list.

Given that you've not seen any real increase in the number of people who ride in several years, even after presenting an example of how useful a bicycle can be, and your personal viewpoint that your coworkers' choices are a "tragedy", your viewpoint will show if you take a "more active approach", and you will be considered by most people "a nagging holier-than-thou jackass," as you already noted.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-17-13 at 11:10 PM.