View Single Post
Old 06-21-13, 03:14 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
I'll just describe how my bike came to be and what I like about it regardless of recent discussion and the OP.

I did consider a CX bike but wanted to build my own unique bike. A carbon CX frame at the time cost as much as my total build and there was no disc brake frames at the time.

I don't feel in control off road with drop bars as much as flat bars, my bike is way stiffer than any road or CX bike and stronger, 29er wheels are way stronger than CX wheels and I still have the option of putting 26 inch wheels on with wider tires.
This bike is just as quick on road as a road bike. It turns heads out riding more than a picture on the net making a lot of positive discussions. One time a week before round 1 of the world tour (riders come a month or two early being summer to train on our roads) I got to ride along our coast line with the pro's, I could comfortably ride with them and they loved my bike.
One time on a popular river side bike path a bunch of roadies were tailing me, we were all riding hard till the path ended from repairs. I just powered on through while they had to get off and walk. I never saw them again "funny at the time"
So I would not change my mind about what I have and it's still my favorite rider. But we all have our own preferences and that's OK with me.

EDIT; I also get the odd mtb rider who thinks he can stay with me or pass me, sometimes I let them past then with minimal effort from me while there gasping I ride on past again. It in these situations I can really tell how much faster a modded mtb can be.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 06-21-13 at 03:21 AM.