Old 06-21-13, 02:26 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
I like this. And re-dishing part may not be needed.

This is the type of project a noob can figure out on his own, once set in that direction, thereby leading him down the slippery slope of C&V DIY perdition. Bwahahahaha!

I'd take the wheel to my LBS, not to have them do the job, but to ask them if they would sell me some old spacers to make it work. The time I actually did this, they gave them to me for free. (It didn't hurt that I bought a tube, patch kit, tire levers and a mini-pump from them earlier that week It's the kind of older LBS that has little boxes of stuff like this on hand, in case they ever have to work on older bikes.
True he could go this route, but unless he must have 7 speeds, which I don't think he does, this is certainly a more complicated solution to a very simple problem. Therefore, the cheepest, least time consuming and best option it to put a 6 speed freewheel on (yes it is narrower). There are several reasons.

1. The frame is 123mm and adding more space will make it harder to install the wheel and at that point I would recommend coldsetting and drop-out alignment, which costs more money, changes the frame more permanently.
2. Adding even 2 mm gets into replace the axle territory since there is probably only 4mm showing on each side. 3mm is getting pretty short.
3. The more dish the weaker the wheel, old rims aren't as strong as modern rims.

People will tell you they , have done it, it works fine, etc etc.. it's fun it's a learning experience. And I agree with that, but the fact remains that in order or simplicity and cost effectiveness you options are as follows:

1. Adjust the limit screw so the derailleur doesn't use the smallest cog, ride and be happy.
2. Put on a 6 speed freewheel.
3. See how much extra room you need. maybe 1-1.5mm will do it and add that to the drive side. Readjust your cones for equal axle sticking out on each side, redish the wheel and ride way.. might be 127 or 127.5 not, a little tougher to slip in, but should be okay. Might consider coldsetting
4. Add equal amounts of spacer to both sides so you do not need to re-dish and keep the wheel integrity as high as possible, possibly (likely) replace the axle with a longer one and cold set the frame and re-align the dropouts.

3/4 are kind of a toss up. I placed 3 before 4 because you might get away with just 1 extra mm and no cold-setting.