TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I remember years ago when nobody would ever consider buying anything that was made in Taiwan because that meant it was junk. I can even remember when I was a kid and my parents were skeptical of anything that was made in Japan because it was junk. A couple of years ago I was in a factory in Thailand that manufactured boxing equipment and clothes and the people that worked there put more time and care into what they were producing then I could imagine any American workers making minimum wage would...but of course if it was made in America it would be made by machines not by people. I'm sure 99% of the electronics and appliances I have in my home were made in China as well as all of my clothes, luggage, backpacks, camping equipment etc and it's all been working out for me. So place of origin is the least important thing to me when it comes to choosing a bike to buy.
My reply was in regard to bicycle frames, which is a totally different animal. I can tell you from my professional experience that the Chinese lag badly behind in certain areas such as metallurgy and welding. There is a restriction in the USA that pipe flanges made in China may not be used in US nuclear power plants, because they are prone to failure.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me