Old 06-27-13, 02:21 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
How exactly do you stay in the back? When somebody tries to move to the back do you point them to the spot in front of you?
As you see them drifting back simply open up a two bike length gap between you and the rider ahead. Usually they'll simply slot in. If they happen to glance back at you, give them a nod or simply a finger in the direction of the gap.

However, once one is comfortable riding in the presence of other riders, the back is the second to last place I would recommend that riders new to group riding hang out. Ideally one would be somewhere in the middle third. Positioning there typically provides good shelter while avoiding the increased elastic recoveries that occur at the back. Any changes in pace closer to the front get magnified by the time they reach the back. With the result that both braking and accellerations are more extreme and more challenging to deal with.