Old 06-27-13, 10:23 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
"I love how easily google maps let you change your route and save the link."

rumrunn6 - I just tried mapmyride.com, and they provide a web interface to create your own map, you can send it directly to your phone from the web app, and follow the map on the phone screen as you ride. Unfortunately, "cuesheet" is the only app I know of (a different app) that will actually read you turn by turn directions.
ridewithgps might be better. You can create a gpx file (of two types) that you can email to your phone and open it up in the app of your choice.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I'm pretty sure there are apps that will display turn-by-turn directions on your phone, but since I was looking for something that would announce them to a bluetooth earpiece, I'm not sure what they are...
As far as I can tell, there's are only two (the "cuesheet" Android) and the "co-rider" app for iOS) that will provide any sort of turn-by-turn directions. I've looked long and hard for any. (There are a few that appear to do it but they are too vague about it to rely on what they say.)

Co-rider appears to speak the turns (which means it would work on a headset).

Of course, cyclists will usually want downloaded maps too (so they don't have to rely on the cell-network being available). There are a fair number of programs that provide download maps but the method for some of them to download maps is rather painful (except if you are interested in a few small regions).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-27-13 at 10:30 AM.