Thread: Clipless Wrecks
View Single Post
Old 06-28-01, 03:39 PM
nebill

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I agree with those who stress the proper adjustment of the tensioning device on the pedals. Back in the old days when I snow skied, I was fanatical about having the bindings correctly adjusted. As a result, I survived many spectacular crashes without ever sustaining an injury. The same idea holds true with the pedals. Even though I have only been using clipless pedals for a little over a month, my feet come out of them without hardly thinking about it. I am glad that they do, too. The other morning on the way to work, as I approached an intersection, I did not see any vehicles approaching. I had my right foot off the pedal in case I had to stop, and was just about to stand on the left pedal when a car suddenly appeared from behind a huge bush. Of course, I had plenty of space to safely stop, but the rapid halt put me off balance, falling to my left, of course! I unclipped my left foot and got it down without really falling....and then gave a jaunty wave to the motorist, as if to say "Me and Lance and the rest of the guys always stop this way!" And, the place where I skinned my knee on the end of the drops is almost all healed now!