Old 06-29-13, 08:16 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
OMG! That was your horn? Well...that helps explain some things. If one hand is working an air horn button I doubt that same hand can work a brake lever at the same time. Whatever it sure didn't help matters much.
when it was appropriate to use the horn, i used the horn. when it was appropriate to brake, i braked.

the driver looked straight at me while i was blowing the horn, and DIDN'T CHANGE COURSE. he just kept swerving towards me! most drivers, even bad ones, would've taken the hint and backed off at that point.

I am confused about what you said about the front camera "running out of steam" unquote.
You have video of the bike taking the fall from the front, how is it that the camera ran out of steam?
the front-facing video is from the helmet-cam, not the front-cam mounted on the bike.

On the other hand ( and as a fellow cyclist ) I think you need to rethink your defensive riding skills. I'm perhaps a little prejudiced on the issue because as a professional driver I've been formally trained to drive safely on the road. One important rule for driving on the road that I've been taught ( from the Smith System Driver safety course ) is "Always leave yourself an Out". This principle is even more important for cyclist because as everyone knows, " 2 tons of rolling metal trumps 25lbs of rolling bike ( regardless of who has legal right of way ). IMO you were too intent on keeping your right of way. This in effect caused the fall because you held your ground when it would of been better to veer off. If you did this in another situation it could of cost you much more than a minor fall. Consider that food for thought. Better to be pushed off the road with all your skin still attached than be dead because you didn't bail when you had the chance.
there's always room to monday-morning-quarterback after an incident. FWIW, i've got about half a million miles of experience driving motor-vehicles, with no crashes or tickets. i've done a few defensive driving courses, including emergency-service driving courses that aren't available publicly.

could this incident have been handled differently? of course. maybe those different ways of handling it could've turned out better... or maybe not?

if i was in the EXACT same situation again, there are things i'd probably do differently... but these types of situations evolve dynamically, they never happen the same way twice, and we have to make split-second decisions with limited information.

that said, another "good" thing about video is the opportunity to analyze what happened. looking at it from an "incident review" perspective, we can come up with multiple "what would you do differently, next time" scenarios, and learn from each others m̶i̶s̶t̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ experiences.