View Single Post
Old 06-30-13, 02:30 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
So I set out today to go for a 50 miler (SOLO) with the goal of doing it under 3 hours (moving time). I am determined to ride the Sub 5 Century next year and I want to push myself this summer and train over the winter to do it. So I wanted to give myself a base line since my last 50 mile ride this year was an organized ride and at a not too screaming pace I got it done in 3 hours and 40-ish minutes.

So today I was coming up on 3 hours and with a leg that I just stretched a cramp out of, ran out of water, and was ready to be done I had just under 3 minutes to go the remaining mile. So what does one do in such sad shape? SPRINT THAT! I rolled up at the back of my place at 3:00:01 and come to find out I went 51.9 miles in that time frame. HEHE.....averaged 17.29 mph moving speed, and I only took with stops about 3:15:00 if even that (my phone quit on me regards to recording my ride).

So that gives me a decent base line for this season and will use that to improve upon.

Oh and this is on the 36 lbs steel lugged frame Schwinn you see listed in my sig. I had several comments made by clubs as I went past, nothing mean spirited but they all seemed surprised I was clicking along at the pace I was for "an old relic"
Well done.