View Single Post
Old 07-01-13, 11:19 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've ridden well over a hundred centuries and even a handful of double centuries. I've had few saddle problems except for chaffing and good shorts plus something like Chamois Butt'r fixes that. However the last few years I've been having more and more sit bone pain. I've tried about a half dozen quality saddles and even had my sit bone spacing measured to get the correct width. It didn't help and I only did one century last year which HURT.

I read somewhere that the area around the sit bones change with age. I'm 59 YO.

So I went old school. Back in the 70s and 80s I used a Brooks B-17 saddle and it 'worked'. So I bought one last year and it was almost, but not quite, the answer. Even after 1K miles of break-in I was getting soft tissue pain 'down there'. This might be due to having aerobars and leaning forward. So I bought a B-17 Imperial which has a cutout. I finally got it broken in recently. In fact I did 51 miles yesterday and about half way though the ride I noticed that I hadn't noticed the saddle!

One note: I've found that I need a slightly nose up adjustment for the Brooks saddles to keep from sliding forward.

About the first B-17 that I bought: Last year I did 250 miles on the Katy Trail in Missouri on my touring bike. It was a pain in the azz. This year I had my 'older' B-17 on the touring bike and it felt much, much better.