View Single Post
Old 07-02-13, 01:55 PM
formicaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I do with this bike?

I just bought a 1997 Cannondale V700 to replace my '99 Jamis Dakar that was stolen last week. I was considering a new bike, but I only had about $500 to spend and anything under $1,000 in FS seems to be junk. I'm a recreational rider and prefer FS for the added traction climbing up roots and rocks and general control as opposed to crazy jumps.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...el=Super+V+700

The Cannondale is near-mint, original tires and everything. It had a totally shot replacement Rockshox fork though, so FOR NOW I'm having a new RockShox X28 installed, which I know is crud, but will have to do for now - I should be able to sell it used later since the Cannondale bike has a very long head tube (which is also why I can't get anything used).

Anyway, help me out. What should I know about this bike? Is it worth investing in a great fork and maybe a new rear shock at some point? Better wheelset, should one come along? I haven't ridden it on the trails yet (it's in the shop for the fork), but I do have to say I love the geometry - it's a fairly short cockpit, which I prefer and very nimble. Plus the damn thing is goregeous in a weird way.