Old 07-02-13, 04:16 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
Again you don't need much in the way of special equipment- certainly not a new /different bike.
I'm car-free, and my only bike is a rigid 29er MTB. Had I known when I bought it that I would use it as my primary transportation, I would have purchased something much different, much better suited; I would have purchased a Dutch city bike. One can commute with any bike. I could get everywhere I need to go on a BMX bike if I needed to. However, some bikes are much better suited to the task than others.

Originally Posted by CB HI
One store I do much of my shopping at is 8 miles from home, so if I do the shopping on a non-workday, you bet I put bike shorts on for the 16 mile ride.
Really? Wow! I usually don't even take water along for just 16 miles. I certainly wouldn't change out of street clothes for such a short trip. For me, if I'm not going to be riding for more than about two and a half hours, any benefit I get from cycling shorts is outweighed by the inconvenience of having to change out of street clothes. (That time may well increase after I get my Brooks installed and broken in.)