Old 07-03-13, 01:29 AM
QuangVuong

Bikes: 89 Centurion Carbon, 91 Peugeot Izoard, 90s Giant Cadex 980c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Lever comes right off to reveal the innards. Now this side was dry as! Sand and dirt managed to get inside.

Clean up the grease with fuel, or degreaser.

And out comes a clean lever. But theres an issue with this one. If you look carefully, one trim position has sheared off. It still holds the gear alright, but theres always the chance of it slipping.

Both levers can go back together in the opposite way they came apart, so back trace, and you shouldnt have a problem. The badges need to be glued back on, unless you reckon the glue on it is still good enough.

Finished Product! I could use the 600 lever bodies, as the pivoting area is cracking. The chrome plated parts were flaking and I dont wanna polish it up after what I went through with the name plates. The 600 levers and DA levers had chrome plated name plates and lever bodies. It looks good if it still is there. My pair had the chrome flaking and corroding away. I know there are chemical methods of removing chrome, but I just sanded down(took forever!), then polished up. The levers gun metal paint was is half dead condition, so I just sanded it down and then polished up.

Interesting notes:
- This has its own unique hoods, but the shape of the lever body will allow for the use of the same hoods as the RSX and RX100, which is also shared with the 105 SC levers(ST-1055).
- The 600 lever is very similar to the other STIs of that time, and parts are intechangable. I am using the RSX lever bodies.

Oh, and I will offer a service to rebuild STI levers. So far I have done the Sora(3300), 105(5500), RX100, RSX, and the 600 as above, but I am sure that I can get around to doing the others without too many problems. I will also gladly take in any broken shifters, or ones that do not work anymore. Please PM me if youre interested!

OTHER GUIDES for this lever
http://imgur.com/a/0tPBK

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-rebuild-guide
Likes For QuangVuong: