Old 07-03-13, 09:02 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many years ago I got upset on a ride when a group of women I was riding with for the first time, thought I needed encouragement climbing every hill and would wait on top shouting "GOOD JOB!" 'YOU CAN DO IT!". I politely told them I had been cycling for over 40 years and although I am a slow climber, yes I can do it so no encouragement needed. Yet it continued and finally I went off on everyone.

To this day I never ever tell anyone 'LOOKING GOOD!" "YOU CAN DO IT" "KEEP IT UP" I now will just say in passing "Beautiful day for a ride!" or "I'm loving this! How 'bout you?" I learned also many years ago that cyclists come in every shape, size and ride just about everything and its not what you ride or how you ride but that you ride that matters. I would never even assume to give someone advice, unless it is asked for. And if not received well, I shut my mouth.

But I know people mean well... because I am heavy, I continue to get "encouragement", especially from men. I think they are always amazed to see some old fat grandma climbing up a steep dirt trail. I just smile and say "thank you!" and continue to enjoy my ride...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.