Old 07-06-13, 02:53 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Distinguished
I see, that makes things a lot simpler, now to find a long allen key. Hmm, maybe I can attach something to a shorter one to make it longer, kind of like when people use a wrench and attach pipe to it.

A few questions for you if you'd like to answer them: what's my 'top cap' actually called? What does pre-load refer to? And when you say 'body in the steerer', I'm assuming that means replace the expansion plug into the steerer, right?

(sorry about that, I'd prefer to ask and learn than shut up and learn the hard way)
Based on your questions, and they way you got into this problem initially, I have to conclude you are completely at a loss as to understanding how any of this works. At this point, I highly recommend taking the bike to a good bike shop and let them get it sorted out. THEN read a good bike repair manual or one of the on-line tutorials on threadless headset adjustment.