Old 07-09-13, 08:35 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I just gotta say gentlemen, "Quicher whinin'!".

Over the last 30 years, I have been hit by a car which resulted in emergency surgery to repair a severely lacerated knee...I was back on a bike at the end of 6 weeks. I've had a broken ankle from a prior break that resulted in surgery to remove the hardware...back on the bike in 6 weeks. I've suffered a concussion during a mountain bike crash that left me seeing double for a few days...I was back on the bike in a few days. I've crashed and taken a handlebar hit to the chest which resulted in a bruise running from my shoulder to my hip...back on the bike as soon as I picked it up. I crashed on ice which resulted in a bruise that traced my arm from the shoulder to the wrist and a giant hematoma on my hip...back on the bike to ride home. I injured my achilles tendon on the first day of a 1000 mile, 3 week self contained tour but finished it anyway.

Sure there are times when you need to take a little time to heal...but 10 months? 10 months away from a bicycle and I'd be in worse shape than if I just rode through the pain.

Saddle sores? Don't get them. Hygiene, hygiene, hygiene!

Sorry, gents, but you aren't gonna get any "poor babies" from me. Get moving and quicher whinin!
LOL. believe, me, I don;t ask for a "poor baby". Just stating how it is. You're right, 10 months out of the saddle is a long time but, when compared to the possibility of having my foot amputated, it was a no brainer. I started riding again three weeks ago against medical advice. Still dealing with the Osteomyelitis issue and will probably be having a surgery on the wrist by summer's end. Not to mention two back, three knee, and an elbow surgery (to name a few) collected over the past 20 or so years. Now I'm off the saddle again due to a parts failure on my ride that I'm waiting, and hoping, for Trek stand behind. Assuming they do, I'll be back on the saddle just as soon as I have a saddle to mount.

But none of this precludes frustration. When you're unable to do the things you love, for whatever reason, it's frustrating. If not, it's probably not something that was too important to you in the first place.