View Single Post
Old 09-15-05, 04:53 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turkish
The bike at the top of my list is an '05 Stumpy. The bike lists for $1300 (XT RD, Deore FD & shifters, no disc brakes, don't recall the fork) and it's currently marked down t0 $1175. I am wondering if there are any folks out there who work at a shop (or have other means to help) and can answer my question.

I keep raising the ceiling on my price, but have decieded to draw the line at $900(ish). Is $900 a fair price to offer an LBS for the '05 Stump Jumper above, or will I be wasting my time as well as insulting them? I know ya never know unless you ask, but at the same time I don't want to be an a**.

thx
The shop is already taking a hit by discounting the bike as much as they have. They still paid $XXXX for the bike it's just that now they'll be making less money from the sale of the bike. Factor in things like the fact that the bike occupied marketable space for this long, space that could have been used for a much faster selling bike that would have in turn made more profit for the shop. Shops have to pay employees, pay for the space (rent, or mortgage / taxes) utilities, buy new supplies and merchandise the list goes on.
Bottom line: You can try, but be prepared for them to say NO

One last thing: THX is next generation surround sound, developed by a George Lucas company - not an acceptable way of saying thanks.

Refrain from using AOLese or TXTSPK while visiting our forums.