Old 07-10-13, 07:34 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
4 flats in one month

So this is the second year I've been into cycling somewhat avidly, been able to do about 150 miles a week. I've gotten 4 flats in the last month, the first was a pinch flat, the other 3 were from wires I picked up on the road. From what I understand our community is starting to use asphalt with increased percentage of recycled rubber - shredded car tires. 3 times now I've picked up wires that appear to be small pieces of car tire cords, they pierce the tire and the tube. I have a Giant Roam 2 with 700X40 tires.

I can fix a flat myself but what I don't like is the time lost that I could be riding. And the possibility of getting stuck with a flat in a real inconvenient place, like 100 degree heat in an open area. I am considering a 3 prong approach to try and lessen the chance of a flat .

1) Get a pair of Continental Gatorskin tires - the closest size is 700X32 wold they fit my rims ok being about 8mm smaller?

2) Get Fat Bottom tubes - they are thicker on the bottom and have Mr. Tuffy sealant in them. They appear to only come in Presta valve which I know the valve is smaller in diameter than the schrader valve I have now, I understand there is a spacer I can use to fill the gap around the presta stem?

3) Get Mr. Tuffy tire liners

So does this combo seem like it would work or is it overkill?