View Single Post
Old 07-10-13, 08:31 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've decided to buy the Trek FX 7.6 as I begin my adventure back on a bike. After the bike there are other considerations: tires, seats, pedals, a pump, computer, helmet and clothing. I'm seventy-one. I'm not interested in PRs or competition. Perhaps when I was in my thirties and forties, but I'm in this for the enjoyment and fitness.

Just which accessories and gear are 'good enough?' What benefit or advantage are pedals with clip-ons? When are they helpful to use if I never ride over twenty miles or so at a time?

Tires. I see widths all over the place. I understand a wider tire will give a wider surface patch.The FX 7.6 seems pretty thin so I asked the LBS about swapping out the originals for, say 32mm. Would that size be good for the type riding we've discussed?

Seats, there are so many different brands and types. I gather that each person's posterior is unique. Like shoes, I figure that you have to find one which will work best. However, where do you start?

I assume the pump helmet and clothing are individual preferences which will fill the bill as long as you buy a reasonably priced item and not shoot for the bottom.

Computer...really? I use a Smasung Galaxy S3 which has a data plan. I have Copilot which reads the GPS receiver and has a built-in map to display my location. I also use Google's My Tracks which plots out the path on a map and stores speed, average speed, distance and elevation for each route. (I actually use that one for photography uploading the track into Lightroom) I know about the drain on the phone to perform these functions but I have an external backup battery which has over two full charges capacity. Will this be sufficient?