Old 09-15-05, 05:59 PM
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of these are good and I agree. There are a few I disagree with though, and a bunch I have comments on, some critical, some just because I can. I might as well make a ChrisL list.

1.) That's not an argument. Simply saying cars suck because there's too many of them and their numbers are growing is like people suck because there's a lot of them.

2.) Yeah, 8 billion hours a year sitting in traffic does suck, can't argue that. Another sucky statistic: The average woman spends 2 years of her life in front of a mirror.

3.) First of all, the argument is they kill people and the supporting fact is injuries. I'm very skeptical that 250 million Americans have been injured by cars. The current population is around 270 million, which if I remember the growth trends correctly, means around half of Americans alive today have been injured. Are we counting catching your finger in the door?

7.) "Cars kill animals." - So do other animals. I got over it by drowning my sorrows with a cheeseburger.

8.) Wait a second, now biodiesal is evil?

10.) The world isn't that simply. If it's not car bombs, it will be donkey bombs or bike bombs. You wouldn't really want die from a carbon fiber shrapnel wounds when some nut drives his 5.9 Madone into a busy marketplace loaded with C4.

11.) See 10.

13.) The cost of maintaining roads is offset by the increase in commerce. Before a major road is built, it's always evaluated on a cost-benefit basis. B/C > 1 means it doesn't get built.

16.) Good point.

17.) Worse yet, the motorhome that drove past my house a couple weeks ago at midnight with an old couple in it blaring out, of all things, folk music with the bass cranked up loud enough to rattle the windows. Creepy.

18.) Saw an article recently about a man arrested for shooting a car at 3:00 am because the alarm kept going off. Can't say I blame him.

20.) I'll concede to the point, but the premise sucks. Soccer is the coolest thing man has come up with.

28.) Being pedestrian oriented wouldn't solve that. If you're going to have a building interrupting the passage of traffic, be it foot, bike or car, the best layout is always a square.

30.) I've got a feeling the author isn't a Beach Boys fan.

36.) The problem there lies in the mentality of the driver, not the car itself. I've never had any problem taking the first open spot I see.

37.) Rubber's organic. It's not going to hurt you anymore than all the dihydrogen monoxide American unknowingly consume.

38.) I guess we haven't seen Sam around bikeforums in a little too long.

40.) Given their high power-to-weight ratio compared to other power sources (especially solar), I'd have to disagree.

41.) Evolution takes time. More importantly, the car evolved to fit man.

43.) Claiming it's conspiracy is pretty lame. I'm sure nothing would feed the sadistic appetite of The Hierarchy Enslaving Me (T.H.E.M) then seeing me going from point A to point B at 70 mph.

49.) My car doesn't go twice that fast. Most don't. Cars that do go that fast are luxuries, and last time I checked, indulgences were not inherently evil.

Interesting list. A lot to think about. I enjoyed reading it.