View Single Post
Old 09-15-05, 08:59 PM
mascher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mavic rims and clydes

Building up a shiny new Kogswell hub for the street. 225 pound rider plus 5 pounds of clothes and a shoulder bag with lock, lunch or libations.

My plan was to pay full retail and go local just so I learn that quality wheels mean dropping the dough. Quickly found out that basically nobody in Montreal stocks anything but Mavic rims.

I searched the threads and found lots of people saying Open Pro, Deep V, but little on the riders riding them; the average weight of this board seems to be on the welter side, so what are the 200+ pounders riding?

I'm ruling out Open Pros as they appear to be lighter racing rims.

Ma 3 - 35$ and get lots of good reviews online from tourers and commuters, including heavy loaded tourers and clyde riders. The shop was like, well, it's a $35 rim, and you should spend more money, and I was like, how is the cxp33 better? Well, it's more expensive, so it must be better! Grumble, etc I want to believe these are good, but I don't personally know any road riders or fixxers. I'm trying to learn to buy bike stuff that I won't break, and I'm having a hard time with the $200 just for spokes, rim and labour for a single wheel part of learning this.

cxp33 - $90, and not in stock in silver. Everyone will attest that these are bombproof, but how about for the heavier rider? I mean, 90 bucks for an off the rack rim? Aero? My body's not aero, and I'm running 53x20 in the city, not doing time trials.

cxp22 - not in stock, around $40. I'm already riding them, seem ok, but I didn't have much of a chance to have an idea of how the rims themselves hold up, as I stripped my hub. I personally think they're the best choise, but that might be the forty bucks talking. And that my rims will match.

T719 - $80 touring rim; the mechanic specifically recommended this rim to me, but the mavic site starts tire recommendations at 28-32, and I'm running 25s and possibly 23s in the future. Almost 600 grams, heavier than my mtb rims.

Nobody seems to have Velocity rims here (haven't looked everywhere, but there's a mavic/sun stranglehold it seems); most shops only stock the crummiest Alex rims, though the oem Alexs have held up well on my xc mtb. Sun road rims may be available somewhere; the cr-18 may be findable, but looks too wide for 25s?

anyway, any recommendations, testimonials, caveats and advice are more than welcome. Thanks.