Old 01-08-03, 03:54 PM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a Med. Tech. "I perform medical lab testing for a LIVING!"

Most people are mislead about how the body works. I don't claim to be all knowing, but please do a little research.
Sugar, Glucose is the killer in diabetics, not ketones!!

Ketosis is the natural result of splitting fat molecules apart in order to use the energy from the fat. It is NOT, NOT, NOT the same process that is involved in diabetic keto-acidosis!

The condition called dietary ketosis, means your body burns fat and turns it into a source of fuel called ketones. Ketones are produced whenever body fat is burned. When you burn a larger amount of fat than is immediately needed for energy, the excess ketones are discarded in the urine.

Dietary ketosis is among the most maligned and misunderstood concepts in nutrition because it is often confused with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition most often associated with uncontrolled insulin-deficient Type 1 diabetes. In the Type 1 diabetic, the absence of insulin leads to a toxic build-up of blood glucose and an extreme break-down of fat and muscle tissue. This condition doesn't occur in individuals who have even a small amount of insulin, whether from natural production or artificially administered.

www.ketosis-ketoacidosis-difference.com/

I posted a link to this page for any one interested.

http://www.kidney.org/general/aboutdisease/diab.cfm

I would like to add that the reason protein is restricted for a diabetic with some kidney damage is due to the difficulty in removing protein metabolites.

trmcgeehan, You need only go to a pharmacy and ask for "ketostix"! It is exactaly the same test method used in a hospital lab. I would also like to add that drinking a lot of water is one of the best things you can do for your kidneys, soft drinks etc. doesn't count!