View Single Post
Old 07-14-13, 03:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampDude View Post
.... but a recent rainy-day ride seems to have resulted in an annoying squeak on the right side. The pedal has a single cartridge bearing which I assumed to be sealed to prevent water and dirt contamination. The squeak suggests my assumption, like many others, is incorrect.

Does the term 'cartridge bearing' mean it is sealed to keep contaminates out and factory installed lube in? Or does this nomenclature mean something quite different?

I haven't tried treating the squeak with oil because I thought it would be useless. Should I give 'er a shot and see if it helps?
Most bike components using "sealed" or "cartridge" bearings use standard commercial bearings with single lip seals. These seals are intended for indoor use such as on electric motors and not, despite the marketing, weather sealed.

A proper weather seal requires a double lip seal with a gap between the seals so water cannot migrate in. Read more about seals here.

Odds are that after some use in weather water got into the bearing, and washed out or compromised the grease. If you open them odds are up you'll find brownish grease or stains, and it isn't food coloring.

Depending on the specific design and your skill level, some of these can be serviced, and others not.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-14-13 at 03:06 PM.