Old 07-15-13, 12:21 AM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
There's no need to go out of your way to kill them. Remove both pedals, and bake them at 130 for a long while to drive out water then see if some heavy oil can be worked in to freshen the grease.

Be careful about how hot you get them because some plastic parts aren't very heat tolerant. (130 is pretty safe). An easy way to dry the entire bike, inside and out is to put it into a solar oven --- your car parked in the sun with one window cracked 1/2" for ventilation. Leave it there all afternoon, and it'll be totally purged of water.

As for the seal issue, it isn't simply a matter of spec'ing a different bearing. It requires though to weather sealing in the entire design. Look around, and you'll find exposed bearings all over the place; hubs, bottom brackets & pedals. Since the bulk of high end clients are fair weather riders, little attention is given to weather protection. The pors that use this stuff have their bikes serviced nightly so they don't care either.thr

Not saying this is reasonable policy or isn't, just telling it like it is.

Thanks for an interesting suggestion. I've never heard of baking a bike component to dry it or using a vehicle to dry the entire bike. Because I live in SW Florida and drive a large SUV, the whole-bike dryer concept will be easy to adopt for year around rainy day riding.

What heavy oil would you suggest and by what method would you work it in. I've lubed auto and trailer wheel bearings and bike bearings I could hold in my hand, but I've only relied on gravity to get liquid oil into places that can't be oiled directly. Sorry to seem so uninformed, but it is what it is.