Old 09-16-05, 07:46 AM
MasterSezFaster
UareFASTjustNOTfastENOUGH

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Bianchi C2C 928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was the tire psi low or did you have a flat? The tube will slowly lose air on its own so you should check it every few rides.

You should not need a thicker tube and depending on your rims/tires a DH tube may not fit.
If the psi was on the low side to start with you may get a pinch flat at your or your wife’s weight. Try and keep the tires inflated close to max if you are riding smooth trails or paths.

Going by the title of the thread, are you asking about a bike for your wife? If it is purely going to be used for weight loss (since it seems she is not ready to bomb down hills and sprint up them ) then something like a Giant "Iguana" or even one like yours will work. For light riding (meaning the type of terrain and not the rider ) those types of bikes will work fine. If she is really out of shape (was a couch potato and now is getting active) then even a good comfort/hybrid bike will work to help get her active and lose weigh and may even be more comfortable for her to ride since there will not be as much pressure on the shoulders or lower back. Then when the weight comes off and if she still enjoys cycling she can upgrade to a better mountain bike if she wants.

Since this has also turned into a bit of a weight loss thread as well, you should concentrate on length of time and energy output rather then distance. The longer you are riding the more calories you will burn whether it be on hills or flats, bustin’ you’re a$$ or just getting your heart rate up a bit. As your weight drops and your fitness level increases you should increase time on the bike which in turn will increase your distance as well so do not worry about distance.

p.s. I know a lot of people will say you two need a Clydesdale/Athena type bike but it is not neccesary. I raced DH and XC for 5yrs in the early '90s on a 21lbs full ridged carbon fiber bike and weighed in at 265 at the time. I have also beat the hell out of an "Iguana" (the bike not the reptile), a few other low budget hard tails. Now if you two get serious into mountain biking then I wouls suggest an upgrade but for now there is no need.

Last edited by MasterSezFaster; 09-16-05 at 07:53 AM.