View Single Post
Old 07-15-13, 08:28 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SwampDude View Post
Thanks for an interesting suggestion. I've never heard of baking a bike component to dry it or using a vehicle to dry the entire bike. Because I live in SW Florida and drive a large SUV, the whole-bike dryer concept will be easy to adopt for year around rainy day riding.

What heavy oil would you suggest and by what method would you work it in. I've lubed auto and trailer wheel bearings and bike bearings I could hold in my hand, but I've only relied on gravity to get liquid oil into places that can't be oiled directly. Sorry to seem so uninformed, but it is what it is.
A gear oil, or heavy machine oil would be fine. You want something that once in, stays there. Try to help it migrate inn by holding the pedal vertical and spinning it. No guaranties but you have to try what you can.

You also have options depending on the pedal's design. If the seal is exposed, these can often be carefully pried out with a sharp pick. If done right the seals can be popped back in after you've serviced the bearing. Or you can replace usually the bearings entirely.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.