Old 07-16-13, 02:36 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
I recall seeing that red one before, Sixty Fiver, in the 'Classic Rides & Rigs' thread - and it is a favourite (and does look great unadorned).

It certainly would seem worth taking scans/measurements off an example with a nice clean set of decals to facilitate repro's in future.

For now, the cracking on mine I'll call 'character'...but maybe some day I'll be after replacements.

Less far-gone examples would seem to provide better source material!

Certainly hard to know what original components hung on this one, though perhaps a 600 EX group (the headset was the only thing on it when I obtained the frame set, and the vintage is right). The previous owner in Tsawassen had a mix of newer parts on it in this bike's most recent previous incarnation, prior to selling f/f to the guy I got it from (who never built it up, I believe). I think the Suntour/Shimano mix should fit nicely once I've get those other Sprint bits on it, though.

On a not-so-great-news note, now that I finally had the fit just about tweaked, I've just stripped the threads on a stem faceplate fixing bolt.

It's a cheap generic stem (I paid $10 off CL), but the closest replacement in the bin is a bit longer and a different rise/drop, a bit less ideal.

First time I've had one of these stems (rather than a traditional quill) on a bike, and I've evidently overtorqued that little bolt.

I'll have to dig up another stem, it seems...