View Single Post
Old 07-16-13, 07:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Front derailleurs (especially indexing front derailleurs) are actually more sensitive to chain width than RDs. The issue is chain clearance within the cage, which is the difference between cage inside width, and chain width.

Put a wide chain into a narrow cage and you'll be trimming like crazy to adjust for the incoming angle change when you change the rear. Or put a narrow chain in a wide cage and you'll have lots of lost travel with every shift, and if the difference is enough the index system simply won't move the cage enough.

The issue with RDs is clearance between the cage plates, and there's some forgiveness since the chain is kept centered by the pulleys. RDs with floating upper pulleys may experience some chain/cage rubbing during a shift, but if the underwidth isn't extreme, this is a rarity.

The other RD cage issue is entry angle at the bottom where a chain coming on an angle may rub on entry. This is easily fixed by filing inside clearance at the front bottom of the cage.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.