View Single Post
Old 07-17-13, 06:58 AM
HillRider 

Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
25 miles, so far no outward signs that silicone isn't working. I'll do one more ride and then take it off again and inspect.

Red Devil is very thick, the consistency of a jelly or toothpaste, and I don't see why it would be a good idea. I think it would just jam the bearings. I had another sacrificial bearing that came with a SRAM X9 crank, took it apart, it was packed with something like Red Devil inside. It was barely spinning. Started spinning after generously washed it with WD-40 and got most of the grease out.
25 miles is nothing and you are indeed doing bearing damage. Properly lubed bottom bracket bearings should last 10's of thousands of miles. Yours certainly won't if you continue to use that silicone spray.

I didn't recognize the "Red Devil" brand name but a moderately heavy body grease (jelly or toothpaste consistency is fine) is the proper type and, no, it won't "jam' the bearings, it will protect them. Use it.