View Single Post
Old 07-18-13, 08:58 PM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Many argue abut this, and contradict each other. The right crank needs to be tight, as tight as you
can go with a normal ratchet using your hands. The left crank needs to be tighter, standing
on the crank and ratchet, bouncing tight.
Yes, there is some disagreement about retightening, some saying that the best route is to tighten properly to the spec'd torque, and that very little is needed after that. Others say that one will inevitably need to retighten with at least some cranks, depending especially on the rider's weight, habits, etc. But no professional mechanic, who has seen hundreds, even thousands of bikes and generally has had to retighten relatively few of those, would recommend that kind of procedure. It's certainly irresponsible to advise such in a public forum, as opposed to choosing to do so on one's own equipment. If such extreme torque was necessary or advisable the manufacturer would specify such.

p.s. I am not saying the advocate is irresponsible, just the particular advice.

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 07-18-13 at 09:01 PM.