Old 07-18-13, 10:00 PM
Bike Rat

Bikes: 2004 LeMond Reno, 200? LeMond Buenos Aires, 199? Peugeot, 199? Yokota Yosemite, 199? GT Tequesta, 198? Bianchi Sport, 1984 Nishiki Prestige, 197? Gitane TDF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Just noticed you are from Texas... the only place I have seen the Share the Road signs posted on the interstate freeways and addressing sharing the road between motorists and motorcycles. (there may be other states that do this, but I AM familiar with Texas due to family there).

The reason I responded to you in particular was this line: "The bureaucrats have an idyllic fantasy that cycling is pedaling at speeds just above walking pace and limited to short distances;" which was in response to the line in the post you responded to: "any reasonably fit cyclist on a decent bike should be able to maintain 20 mph." And then lastly this comment: "they foster inequality between cyclists and motorists."

So it was all a response to a thread of argument that I saw to which I decided to lay out my thoughts.

A true vulnerable user law would be a nice thing... and frankly I had no idea that motorcyclists were campaigning for such a thing.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly regarding bike lanes... they are nothing more than a poor bandaid to a system that needs some real revamping. That said, I'd rather see a bike lane than nothing more than a "share the road" sign. I'd much rather see a road network that takes all vehicles and persons into mind. But having toured through Texas, I can tell you that there are vast stretches of road there that will never see any more improvement... and knowing the Texas attitude of "Don't Mess with Texas" (which means more than don't litter) I know that most Texans frankly don't give a cr@p about anybody not driving a pickumup truck.

See if this road seems familiar as a common sight:

Click to enlarge, obviously. That is a typical Texas farm road... yup there is a painted shoulder line, and to the right of that line is one mean rough surface... and these roads line the state. How'd ya like to be taking the lane just beyond that crest as someone comes upon you at 65 or 70MPH?
I appreciate your response, it provides me an opportunity to consider my beliefs.

I'm a native Texan. I thought "share the road" originated here, but really have no true idea, and presumed/hoped other states advocated for it as well. Wanting to verify some of my earlier claims, I discovered San Antonio adopted the 3 foot rule, not Texas...governor vetoed. I apologize for my misstatements, between all of the various news reports on these issues, it's easy to get confused.

I'm actually quite fortunate that my city is a strong supporter of bicycling. During the last several years bike share was implemented, and there's been an exponential increase in the number of cyclists in the greater downtown core. As a major tourist destination, bike share has also been especially popular with tourists. It's also conducive to cycling that, despite being a major city, San Antonio has retained it's small town feel. With exception to the high-speed suburbs, I feel vehicular cycling in San Antonio is relatively safe...there's minimal on-street parking, major arterials are 4 lanes or 2 extra wide lanes, and many motorists are exceptionally considerate. Perhaps a large reason I'm for vehicular cycling is that, at least to me, the greatest threat is not being seen...something I believe bike lanes and curb hugging don't address, whereas sharrows are a subtle reminder there may be a cyclist ahead.

Regarding the picture, as I'm just a yokel, I'm not sure what you mean by "click to enlarge", lol. You may not know it, but some of these rural interstates are at 80/85 mph now. Rather than intimidating, I view your picture as serene. Yes, the chip-sealed shoulder is quite rough, but with lowered tire pressure it's a non-issue. While riding in rural areas like the picture presented, I take the lane to be more visible to approaching motorists, I might even swerve a few times within my lane to be more visible, then as they near to pass, depending on conditions, I'll either move to the right tire track, or ride in the shoulder. It might seem a bit much, but it works for me. I know many roadies just ride in the shoulder entirely, some places that's best, other places you'll just blend into the roadside scenery. Another thing is that I'm often able to hear approaching vehicles from at least a 1/4 mile away, but I suppose many listen to music instead.

Contrary to many peoples belief, as long as you're looking ahead, there's minimal danger in cresting hills. The exaggerated fear is likely in response to the only experience many cyclists have in this regard, two vehicles closing in on one another at 70 mph...yep, that's very scary, though quite different than a cyclist cresting a hill at 12(?) mph while hearing an approaching vehicle before seeing it, and possibly a cyclist who only crests hills while riding on the shoulder...let alone, roadway design generally minimizes blind crests anyway.

Your mention of farm roads definitely illustrates the bicycling infrastructure problem...it's impossible to put into place everywhere. It also highlights there being more than one type of environment that cyclists ride, which I think many of us forget. The way many riders speak of cycling, I can't help but feel they think there is only one riding style for all conditions, when in fact, and possibly my favorite thing about cycling, is that it is so adaptable.

Last edited by Bike Rat; 07-18-13 at 10:04 PM.