Old 07-21-13, 08:30 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by sstang13
And when you speak about adding in spikes every now and then in my rides and these hard efforts once and a while^, how do I incorporate it into my training? Say, if I have a training block, and days I have 2x20, the next I'll have sprints, and another day 5x5, just for example, how do I add those spikes in there? During warm up/ cool down? During rest? etc.

My team had a meeting with my coach this winter and we talked about S.M.A.R.T goals, and made a whole bunch. I'm going to take your advice , make some goals again yearly, and monthly. Then I could brake it down to races as well. I'm also thinking about peaking for a race so that I could have top form going into a few knowing that I can do well. It should be an easier year now that I'm second year junior.

I was talking with my dad today and he said I should get a new bike. I told him about power meters (I said they cost a lot - but never gave him any prices). That may just be what I need for a little extra motivation, I've had the same bike for 2 years now, it's a touring bike, and maintenance is just terrible, scratches everywhere, same chain from the start, oh and did I mention a compact crank!!?
Spikes - I don't do structured training so it's hard for me to answer. However you can incorporate leg speed work on easy days (try to avg 120 rpm for an hour for example). If I were doing shorter intervals I'd stick the spikes in there, or do a few efforts before/after the intervals. Since it's spiky it's not a huge stress on your body.

Goals - it really helps to map things out. You work backward from your goal. Pick a race, think about what it takes to do well there, then focus on improving your performance in those factors. Be realistic - if you're not a climber you're not going to be one. If you're not a TT'er you're not going to be one. Work on what you can. You may be pleasantly surprised here and there, that's fine, but focus on utilizing your strengths. You don't see Cav fighting it out for the climber's jersey and you don't see Froome fighting for the points jersey. Even pros know they have a place.

New bike - my first race bike was a combination of birthday, Christmas, and chores, as well as money I put in. If you really have a touring bike (42 cm chain stay, 70-72 deg head tube angle) then it will make a difference to get a race geometry frame (typically 40.5 cm chainstay, 73 deg head tube). You should be able to pick one up used for not much money. You may need to change a few things but it'll really set the tone of the bike. Don't worry about the compact - a friend of mine got 2nd in the Cat 2 Battenkill race, the first Cat 2 race he did, on a compact. Worry more about fit. If you can get a power meter because you got a used frame then try and get either a PT or a used SRM. Don't get something that isn't super accurate because it'll just waste your time and money. If you get a PT then you'll be racing on it too (unless you can get a second hub) so you'll want a reasonable wheel.