View Single Post
Old 07-22-13, 12:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by corvuscorvax
The point that is being made, and which you are studiously ignoring, is that New Yorkers (for example) produce much less pollution per capita than suburban or rural populations..... It's a simple fact.
Nothing is simple when we talk about being green. (in the sense of minimum environmental impact)

Yes, city living can be pretty green in terms of carbon footprint, but there are offsets such as food transport fuel, etc.

OTOH, if someone lives in a well insulated home in the country, and heats with wood cut sustainably (same rate as regrowth) then there is zero carbon emission for heat since it's a closed cycle. Of course there are other considerations, such as whether food is grown locally or not, and how much transportation is used, for how far.

The issue shouldn't be who's greener, but what you've done personally to lower your own footprint. Otherwise it's becomes an endless apples/oranges debate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.